Printed on: December 24, 2012
Isaac Asimov's Super Quiz
Subject: EVE (e.g., On what date does Christmas Eve fall? Answer: Dec. 24.)
FRESHMAN LEVEL (1 point):
1. In what book is Eve the first woman mentioned?
2. The last day of the year.
3. Provide a homonym for eve.
GRADUATE LEVEL (2 points):
4. A less common name for Halloween.
5. Who portrayed the title character in the film "All About Eve"?
6. She starred on TV as "Our Miss Brooks."
PH.D. LEVEL (3 points):
7. What eve is June 23?
8. Who wrote the poem "The Eve of St. Agnes"?
9. What or who is Mitochondrial Eve?
SCORING: 18 points -- congratulations, doctor; 15 to 17 points -- honors graduate; 10 to 14 points -- you're plenty smart, but no grind; 4 to 9 points -- you really should hit the books harder; 1 point to 3 points -- enroll in remedial courses immediately; 0 points -- who reads the questions to you?
Today is Monday, Dec. 24, the 359th day of 2012. There are seven days left in the year. This is Christmas Eve.
In 1851, fire devastated the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., destroying about 35,000 volumes.
In 1865, several veterans of the Confederate Army formed a private social club in Pulaski, Tenn., called the Ku Klux Klan.
ANSWERS: 1. The Bible; 2. New Year's Eve; 3. Eave; 4. All Hallow's Eve; 5. Anne Baxter; 6. Eve Arden; 7. Midsummer's Eve (also called St. John's Eve); 8. John Keats; 9. The matrilineal most recent common ancestor of modern humans