Cory James Hix


An Idaho Falls man died Wednesday, a day after his brother reportedly hit him in the head with a pool cue after an argument in a bar.

A death notice submitted to the Post Register stated Jeremy Hix died Wednesday.

Cory James Hix, 41, brought his 39-year-old brother, Jeremy Hix, to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center for treatment at around 2:40 a.m. Tuesday. Jeremy Hix was taken to the Intensive Care Unit.

Multiple reports by Idaho Falls Police Department officers and detectives state doctors quickly realized Jeremy Hix was not going to survive. Court documents state there was a large fracture in Jeremy Hix’s skull from the frontal lobe to the top of his head. There was heavy bleeding on his brain, which had been displaced.

Police investigated the death and recovered video surveillance of the incident at Pockets Bar on Lincoln Road. The brothers were visibly arguing and Cory Hix was agitated, putting his face in front of Jeremy Hix’s. The argument continued until Cory Hix hit his brother with the pool cue. The footage and witness statements show Jeremy Hix was unresponsive after being hit.

“Cory repositioned his hands on the pool stick, grabbing it with his left hand on the skinny end and his right hand about midway up the stick,” a police report stated. “He swung the stick so that the fat end made contact with the left front side of Jeremy’s head. The strike was quick and violent with a follow through.”

The surveillance footage and witness statements show Cory Hix attempted to lift his brother and lightly slap him awake. Cory Hix then carried his brother out of the bar and took him to their car. A bar employee stopped Cory Hix as he was pulling out to hand him his driver’s license. The employee told police Cory Hix seemed concerned she had seen him leaving.

Cory Hix told police he was playing pool with his brother at the bar. He said he was horsing around by twirling the pool cue around when he accidentally hit his brother. He said his brother was responsive at first, but his eyes were rolling, and that Jeremy Hix passed out on the way to the hospital. He denied that they had argued. A doctor told police he doubted an injury as severe as Jeremy Hix’s could be inflicted by twirling a pool cue.

After giving his explanation of events, Cory Hix refused to speak with police without an attorney present. Police recovered the broken pool cue at the bar.

Cory Hix was arraigned Tuesday and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and/or causing great bodily harm, disability or permanent disfigurement, punishable with up to 15 years in prison. A deadly weapon enhancement was added to the charge, increasing the potential sentence to up to 30 years in prison.

Cory Hix’s bond was set at $150,000 and a request for release to Pretrial Services was denied. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Sept. 28 in Bonneville County Courthouse.

Bonneville County Prosecutor Daniel Clark said the investigation is ongoing and a decision on additional charges will not be made until it’s complete.

Reporter Johnathan Hogan can be reached at 208-542-6746.

Load comments