The Rigby Star: Pages of the Past
The Jefferson Star is going back in time to explore past pages of The Rigby Star. Every month, there will be highlights from a fewof the top stories in the 1900s. This project will appear in the last issue of every month. The following is a selection of local,state and national happenings for the month of April in 1915, 1935, 1955 and 1975.
The ladies of the Rigby Study Club gave a most highly enjoyable entertainment at the high school gymnasium room April 2,1915, there being present something like 40 people.
Rigby’s first city election passed off very quietly April 27, 1915, there being about two-thirds of the vote of the city cast, this being from the fact that but one tickets had been placed in nomination. But for the fact that a fight developed on the regular nominees for the police judge and city treasurer, less than half of the vote of the city would have been cast.
Wm. Furnandid received the contract for putting up the Sorensen building, on the lost just west of the Whipperman building on Main Street, and on April 21, 1915 commenced work on the same.
The Rigby school board signed contracts for superintendent of the two schools for the coming school year. H.J. Peterson, of Kaysville, Utah, will have charge of the high school, while Wm. E. Bitter, for the past year in charge of the school at Sugar City, will be the principal of the grade school.
Roberts, Blackfoot, Ammon and Idaho Falls students competed for state honors in declamation events in Moscow on April 12,1935. Students from these schools won first places in the events at the inter-district contest in which seven Upper Valley high schools were represented.
Moderate weather conditions of a few days permitted distribution of practically all of the 500 pheasants in the Bonneville county Sportsmen’s association, rearing pens north of the city.
E.T. Spencer, supervisor of census for southeastern Idaho, sent The Star the following report of the numbers of farms in 1935 agricultural census in Jefferson County. Mr. Spencer’s report says: “The number of farms in the County of Jefferson, as shown bya preliminary county of the returns of the supervisor of the 1935 census of agriculture, inventory as January 1, 1935 as 1265, ascompared with 1090 on April 1, 1930.”
B.L. Bennett, candidate for mayor of the City of Rigby on the “New Deal Ticket,” was elected by a majority of 137 votes in a record, making election April 23, 1915, over J.B. Eckersell, candidate on the “taxpayers” ticket; the vote standing Bennett 370,Eckersell 233, of the unofficial returns from three precincts.
A new epoch was reached in telephone service on the Rigby telephone exchange April 25, 1935 with the cut-over to thecommon battery system, which cost the M.S.T. and T. Co. and outlay of $10,000 in new switch board and equipment, and meantfaster and better telephone service through this exchange.
At the Ririe city election held April 26, 1955, Mayor Carl M. Shaner was re-elected. Phil Sappington and Wendell Harris were elected as new councilmen from Ward 1 and 2 respectively, while E. Bud Johnson from Ward 1 and Marlon Rowan, Ward 2, will be the other members of the board as hold-over members.
A tentative list of the 1955 graduates of the Rigby High School was announced. Of the 116 candidates for graduation, eight were listed on the high honor roll and 33 were honor students.
No opposition ticket was filed to the citizens party ticket in the Rigby city election for the first time in several years. The election was held April 26, 1955.
The excellent weather greatly contributed to bringing the largest number of kiddies, accompanied by their mothers, to the annual pre-Easter egg hunt, sponsored by the Rigby business houses and the Rigby Chamber of Commerce.
The Rigby Lions Club celebrated their 47th year charter night at the V.F.W. hall with their wives. The dinner was catered by Dale’s Café. Lions Club President, Lee Sauer, was in charge of the meeting and Eldon Poole and Bartley Stowell had the program in charge.
The new uptown headquarters for offices of the Jefferson County Historical Society above the Smart Shop were cleaned and painted by members Virginia Morgan, Edna Oram, Nola Summers and Thelma McMurtrey.
Fergis Distributing Company of Salt Lake City has announced the opening of their Dry-Cleaning and Laundry business in Rigby in the Broulim building on East Main Street.
Douglas Gerard, of Lewisville, was named and passed upon by Jefferson County Commissioners and the Democratic Central Committee to be the new Jefferson County coroner to succeed Norman Hall, who resigned.
Months of hard work really paid off for members of the Monteview LDS Ward Relief Society at the fundraising supper and quilt sale where they raised more than $14,000.