The Rigby Star: Pages of the Past
The Jefferson Star is going back in time to explore past pages of The Rigby Star. Every month, there will be highlights from a few of the top stories in the 1900s. This project will appear in the last issue of every month. The following is a selection of local, state and national happenings for the month of June in 1915, 1935, 1955 and 1975.
During a meeting of the Jefferson County good roads association, the following gentlemen were appointed to wait upon the board of commissioners at their meeting June 7, 1915 and presented them to various pertaining to roads and highways. Ray H. Fisher, chairman, Z. Balaantyne; Hyrum Severson, Heber Holland, Wm. Wardle, Elof Nelson, Wm. Allred, Peter Yorgensen, J.W. Clinger, Jno. W. Hart, H.A. Schweitzer, Geo. E. Hill, Joseph Wood, Hyrum Edwards, Dr. J.E. Melton, and Orson Ball.
The local baseball boys journeyed up to Ashton on June 13, 1915 where they were awarded with victory by the score of 2 to 7. The Rigby boys had a combination that proved too much for the upper country boys and had the game safe in the first inning.
A call had been sent out for a meeting of all the sheriffs in southern Idaho in Boise on June 26, 1915. The object of the meeting was to form an association for the purpose of adopting a more business-like system for handling the work of the office, especially on collections.
During a citizen’s meeting held at the courthouse June 23, 1915, it was decided to hold a Fourth of July celebration on July 5, 1915, general and finance committees were being appointed who were busy with preparations to make the affair a success.
F.S. Johnson, a veteran rural mail carrier on route 1 out of the Rigby post office, carried the mail for the final trip on the route June 29, 1935. He retired on July 1, 1935 on pension after 30 years of faithful work on the mail route.
Active work on the construction of the C.C.C. camp at Heise Hot Springs was scheduled to start June 28, 1935, according to Forest Ranger Leo Hutson, of St. Anthony, who was a business visitor to Rigby earlier in the week. There were plans that called for the construction of 13 to 16 buildings on the ground south of the school house for 200 men.
Examination of applicants for automobile driver’s licenses began in Idaho July 1, 1935. Emmett Pfost commissioner of law enforcement announced that by October 1, 1935 the state’s approximately 200,000 motor vehicle operators will be carrying permits, he predicted.
Letter were received in Rigby from Paris, France the week of June 6, 1935 which crossed the Atlantic on the first trip of the new giant ship Normandy. The ocean crossing was made in four days and three hours. The letters were received in Rigby seven days after being mailed in Paris.
Thirteen 4-H clubs had been organized to date in Jefferson County. It was expected that a leader’s counsel would be organized in each community after the short course was completed at the U. of I. southern branch.
A crowd estimated at 40,000 witnessed the largest and most colorful peacetime review ever held in the Pacific northwest at the Fort Lewis parade fair grounds June 23, 1935 when 7,600 officers and men of the 41st National Guard division marched past the reviewing stand.
The second May day snow storm of the season visited this section of the Upper Snake River Valley, commencing early May 31, 1955 and continuing until almost noon.
Cless Olney returned to Midway for the next year as principal of the new high school. This was not new territory to Mr. Olney, who was coach at Midway when the school was destroyed by fire. The school had a full corps of teachers, including a coach for the 7th, 8th and 9th grades of students from the Menan, Lewisville and Grant communities.
Final arrangements had been made for the annual rodeo events, June 15 and 16, 1955 sponsored by the Jefferson County Park and Rodeo committee, at the Rigby Rodeo grounds.
The new Clark ward church was dedicated June 19, 1955 during an impressive program, with President Joseph Fielding Smith presiding, and Bishop William Edgar Hll conducting. The old church building had been wrecked by wind on July 19, 1952.
The Rigby Chamber of Commerce received notification from the Secretary of the Navy that LST (landing, ship, tank) 845 would be named USS Jefferson County at San Diego harbor. A representative from Jefferson County was invited to the official naming ceremony.
The State of Idaho’s Bi-centennial Prairie Schooner was in Rigby on June 14, 1975 to take part in the parade. Its appearance was under the direction of the Jefferson County Historical Society and was on exhibition at the Rigby High School campus during the afternoon. Rigby was the first community to salute Idaho’s Bi-centennial Pioneer Schooner.
At a regular board meeting June 10, 1975, the board of trustees of Ririe School District No. 252 appointed Vern Anderson as principal for the Jr. and Sr. High School commencing in August.
Rigby’s Main Street was undergoing an extensive “face-lifting” operation. Rigby was enduring what many other cities have experiences, torn up streets, no sidewalks, at times no water, but the regular tourist traffic moved north and south. People accepted the inconvenience, knowing that it should be done soon by the state crew.
Jefferson County’s oldest, continuous business, The Rigby Star, had been sold, according to Hope B. Jones, the new ownership to take over August 1, 1975. Negotiations were underway at the time to complete the sale agreement. A company of S.H. Bennion, Idaho Falls business man, was the new owner.
To raise funds to rebuild their burned-out chapel, the people of Ririe were setting up a “Near New Store” in front of the old lumber yard on Main Street and next to the Tom Adams service station.